The BKS Iyengar Yoga Association of Australia brings together yoga teachers and students committed to promoting, protecting and disseminating the art, science and philosophy of yoga according to the teachings of Yogacharya BKS Iyengar, one of the world’s foremost yoga masters.
The Association is the governing body for Iyengar Yoga in Australia. Established in 1985 by a small group of only 19 teachers and students, it has grown into an organization of over 700 financial members. The Association is governed by its Board which is supported by its committees, is a registered company and complies with Australian Corporations Law.
The Association’s goals are to
- promote the teaching of the Iyengar method of yoga
- establish and maintain guidelines for the certification of the teachers of Iyengar Yoga
- provide social, cultural and educational services for its members
- oversee effective regular teacher accreditation from Introductory to the higher levels of Intermediate Junior in line with the international standards set by Yogacharya BKS Iyengar
- uphold rigorous ethical guidelines through its Teachers Code of Practice
- support the Ethical guidelines with a comprehensive Complaints Handling Procedure
- protect and oversee the use of the name of Iyengar throughout the community. It will do this through the Iyengar Certification Mark licence which each certified Iyengar teacher, in order to have a current teacher certificate, must apply for each year.
Over the past years the Association has hosted a variety of events including workshops and national conferences such as the one which brought Guruji, Yogacharya BKS Iyengar, to Australia in 1992, and Geetaji, his daughter Smt. Geeta S. Iyengar, to Sydney and Perth in 2003.
The Association is the official liaison with BKS Iyengar and the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Institute in Pune and co-ordinates studies by Australian practitioners to attend classes at the Institute. It also has an extensive Library from which members can borrow dvds, videos, books and references on Iyengar yoga.
Log in and go to Policy documents to view and/or download the Constitution, Certification Mark Handbook, Ethical Guidelines Handbook and the 2005-2006 Annual Financial Report.